Tamiflu for Adults
Tamiflu is an FDA-approved prescription medicine used to treat the flu (influenza) in people 2 weeks of age and older who have had flu symptoms for no more than 2 days. Tamiflu works differently from over-the-counter remedies. Tamiflu attacks the flu virus at its source, and helps stop it from spreading in the body.1
In a clinical trial, Tamiflu helped adult patients get better up to 1.3 days (30%) faster compared with people who didn’t take Tamiflu within 48 hours of their first symptoms.1,4 So the sooner you start Tamiflu, the sooner you may start feeling better.
Tamiflu must be prescribed by a doctor, so if you experience sudden fever, aches, chills, or tiredness, call your doctor right away.1
Who can take Tamiflu1
Tamiflu is a prescription medicine used to treat the flu (influenza) in people 2 weeks of age and older who have had flu symptoms for no more than 2 days. Tamiflu can also reduce the chance of getting the flu in people 1 year and older.
You should not take Tamiflu if:
- You are allergic to oseltamivir phosphate or any of the ingredients in Tamiflu.
Tell your doctor if:
- You are pregnant, nursing, have heart problems, breathing problems, a weakened immune system (immunocompromised), kidney problems or other medical conditions as Tamiflu may not be right for you.
- About any medications you are taking or if you’ve received a nasal-spray flu vaccine in the past two weeks.
- You have an allergic reaction or a severe rash with Tamiflu. Stop taking it, and contact your doctor right away. This may be very serious.
How to take Tamiflu1
- Tamiflu is available in a fruit-flavored liquid form called Tamiflu for Oral Suspension (6 mg/mL).
- Tamiflu is also available in capsule form.
Flu treatment for adults and teens aged 13 years and older
- Take 1 dose, twice daily, for 5 days (see flu treatment chart below for dose amount).
Flu prevention for adults and teens aged 13 years and older1
- Take 1 dose, once daily, for 10 days or as long as prescribed.
- One dose is 75 mg/12.5 mL for adults and teens weighing 88.1 lbs/40.1 kg or more.
Sign Up for Flu Alerts
Stay ahead of the flu.
Help Stop the Flu Before it Hits
Tamiflu is not a substitute for the flu shot. Vaccination is still the first line of defense for flu protection.1
|Treatment dosing for 5 days||Prevention dosing for 10 days||Volume of oral suspension (6 mg/mL) for each dose**||Number of bottles of Oral Suspension to dispense||Number of capsules and strength to dispense§|
|75 mg twice daily||75 mg once daily||12.5 mL||3 bottles||10 capsules, 75 mg|
An oral dosing dispensing device that measures the appropriate volume in mL should be utilized with the oral suspension.
§Oral Suspension is the preferred formulation for patients who cannot swallow capsules.
You can take Tamiflu with or without food. There is less chance of stomach upset if you take it with a light snack or a meal.
You can take Tamiflu for up to 6 weeks if you are exposed to the flu because of an outbreak in your community. Follow your doctor’s advice on how long to take Tamiflu.
What to do if you miss your Tamiflu dose1
If you forget to take your medicine, take the missed dose as soon as you remember, unless it is 2 hours or less before your next scheduled dose. Then continue to take Tamiflu at the usual times. Do not take 2 doses at a time to make up for a missed dose. If you miss several doses, tell your doctor and follow the advice given to you.
Taking Tamiflu with other medications1
Your doctor or HCP may recommend taking over-the-counter medications to reduce severity of symptoms while the antiviral action of Tamiflu takes effect on the flu virus.
As with any medication, be sure to discuss with your doctor any over-the-counter or prescription medicines you are currently taking before beginning Tamiflu therapy.
How to store Tamiflu1
- Store Tamiflu capsules at room temperature between 68°F to 77°F (20°C to 25°C).
- Store Tamiflu for oral suspension in the refrigerator for up to 17 days between 36°F to 46°F (2°C to 8°C).
- Store Tamiflu for oral suspension for up to 10 days at room temperature between 68°F to 77°F (20°C to 25°C).
- Safely throw away any unused Tamiflu that is out of date or no longer needed.
How to administer liquid Tamiflu1
If you are taking Tamiflu in Oral Suspension dosing, your pharmacist should give you the appropriate dosing device. There is not a dosing syringe in the carton. Follow your doctor’s instructions on how to take Tamiflu and which dose to take.
Tamiflu must be prescribed by a doctor, so if you start feeling flu symptoms, call your doctor right away.1
Please see the Tamiflu full Prescribing Information for complete safety information.
Tamiflu is an antiviral prescription medicine that attacks the actual flu virus at its source, and helps stop it from spreading in your body.